Every year woman across the United States are told that they have “unexplained infertility.” This is basically your doctor’s way of saying “sorry, we have no idea why you can’t get pregnant.” In truth there is always a cause behind your problems trying to conceive. It just might take you a bit longer to discover why. While many cause of infertility can be discovered by your doctor, there are are some factors they can’t always account for that can be found in your environment, diet, or related to other health factors.
- Bisphenol A (BPA): BPA is a chemical that is commonly found in plastic products such as water bottles, water cooler bottles, and other plastic products. It’s been proven that BPA can decrease a man’s sperm count and disrupt a woman’s hormone levels. Canada recently banned this chemical from being used in baby bottles, but it is still found in many other products.
- Aspartame: Aspartame is also known as AminoSweet and can be found in most artificial sugars on the market today. In the US they are considering allowing this chemical to be added to milk, without any labeling on the packaging. While these sweeteners have been marketed for years as safe and “fat free”, in reality they are carcinogens and need to be avoided at all costs. These aren’t good for your body at all and will cause a wide range of health problems after long-term consumption.
- White Sugar: Unfortunately, white sugar isn’t good for your body either. This type of sugar is very acidic and toxic to the human body. It can also lead to Candida, another cause of infertility. Avoid sugary sodas, sweet, candy, and anything else that is high in white sugar.
- Candidiasis (Candida): Candida is caused by the overgrowth of the fungus Candida Albicans in the body. This is most commonly known for causing vaginal yeast infections in women. It can also lead to serious fertility issues if left untreated. If you suspect that you have this type of infection see a doctor immediately. If you have a history of these problems make sure to mention it to your doctor.
- Celiac Disease (Gluten Intolerance): Gluten is a very common product in the food we eat today. It’s found in many different types of grains including wheat, barley, couscous, rey, semolina, and many others. The gluten will stick to the lining of the intestines and make it difficult for your body to absorb the nutrients that you know. Celiac disease has been linked to causing fertility problems for both men and women. There is a test for Celiac disease. However, if you have a slight gluten intolerance it won't show up in the test results. The only way to treat this condition is by eliminating it from your diet.
- Alcohol: Not only will binge drinking leave you feeling terrible, it can have a tremendous effect on both a man and woman’s fertility. Alcohol products a toxic by product when absorbed by the body. The best solution is to stop drinking.